The Sunshine Angels maintain a presence year round in the lives of the Sunshine foster children, by providing them with support needed to achieve success in school and in life. Our outreach includes providing recognition of life events and their needs, such as that received by children in traditional family homes. Foster children face many disadvantages which often lead to lives of drug addiction, unplanned pregnancy, homelessness and hopelessness. Through our presence in the children’s lives, they learn that they are loved and deserving of success. We provide school supplies, clothing, computers, mentoring, birthday, holiday and graduation recognition, summer camp and other wholesome recreation opportunities, cultural event tickets and passes, and support to transition to independent living after group home care.
The Sunshine Angels have goals for enriching the lives of children in foster care with Sunshine Homes. While the children are under the age of 18, our goals primarily are to help them overcome the obstacles they face by providing them with the education, guidance and encouragement they often lack without family support. A greater goal is to help them survive and thrive through these early years in order to avoid the statistically common fate of many young adults aging out of foster care, which include dropping out of school, drug addiction, unemployment, prostitution, homelessness, gang affiliation, poverty and suicide. For more information click here.
Currently the Sunshine Angels continue to provide a variety of services for foster children in care with Sunshine Homes.
- Birthday parties for each child, with food, gifts, cake and candles, and a card with $5 inside.
- Christmas for each group home with a dinner, party, and gifts for all of the children.
- A special holiday gift for the home, which will benefit all of the children, such as sporting goods, a computer with printer, or an electronic game system, such as a Wii System.
- A graduation luncheon each May to celebrate the 8th graders, 12th graders, and those who have attained a GED certificate.
- We award two $500 Angel Phyllis Memorial Scholarships each year.
- Backpacks and school supplies at the beginning of the school year and a Back to School dinner for all of the children, to help them begin the new school year with enthusiasm and excite me
- Summer camp, Arizona Diamondback games, Phoenix Mercury games, and the Phoenix Art Museum.
- New athletic shoes for each child at the start of Sunshine’s annual basketball camp each summer.
- Assistance for older teenagers with housing, transportation, and logistical support when they must move out of the group homes at age 18.
- Financial support to Sunshine’s Honor Roll dinners to recognize academic success.
- One-on-one mentoring and volunteering with the children to help them learn life skills while experiencing the love and support of a caring adult.